the hungarian theatre of cluj
The Hungarian Theatre of Cluj was founded in 1792 and was the first Hungarian theatre company in Transylvania. Transylvania is now part of modern day Romania, and the Hungarian Theatre of Cluj functions as a repertory theatre, entirely subsidized by the Romanian Ministry of Culture and National Heritage. Performances are presented in Hungarian, with simultaneous translation into Romanian or English usually available.
In 1990 Gábor Tompa was appointed artistic director of the Hungarian Theatre of Cluj. Under his leadership, the theatre has continued Harag's tradition of innovation, based on a repertoire that includes classic masterpieces as well as contemporary plays.
During the last 20 years the Hungarian Theatre of Cluj has aligned with the new trends of contemporary theatre and taken its place in the circuit of European theatres. This has been largely due to international co-productions and collaborations with world renowned professionals: directors such as Vlad Mugur, Silviu Purcărete, Andrei Şerban, Mihai Măniuţiu, Victor Ioan Frunză, David Zinder, Dragoş Galgoţiu, Patrick Le Mauff, Elie Malka, Matthias Langhoff, Robert Woodruff and Alain Timar; set and costume designers such as Carmencita Brojboiu, Andrei Both, Doina Levintza, Lia Manţoc, and Helmut Stürmer; and composers such as Vasile Şirli and Iosif Herţea.